Many Outlook users reported experiencing issues, like ‘Outlook 2019 keeps crashing’, ‘Outlook crashing during startup’, or ‘Outlook not sending emails’, while using their Outlook application. There are various reasons that may cause such issues in Outlook. In this post, we have addressed the ‘Outlook 2019 keeps crashing’ issue. We have also mentioned the possible causes for the issue and the ways to resolve it.
Some Causes for the ‘Outlook 2019 Keeps Crashing’ Issue
There are different reasons that may lead to this issue. Some of them are:
- Microsoft Outlook version that is outdated
- Issues with MS Office program
- Outlook PST file is corrupted
- Incompatible or faulty Add-ins
- Microsoft Outlook profile is corrupted
Solutions to Resolve the ‘Outlook 2019 Keeps Crashing’ Issue
Here are some easy and effective solutions to fix the Outlook 2019 keeps crashing problem:
1. Restart Your System
A simple system restart can fix a variety of problems. You can restart your computer to see if the Outlook crashing issue is resolved. But first, exit MS Outlook entirely by using the End Task option. Then reopen MS Outlook. If the issue is still there, proceed to the next step.
2. Update Your MS Outlook Application
If your MS Outlook version is not updated, it may create the issue. So, ensure that your MS Outlook application is updated. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open MS Outlook and select the File menu.
- Now, go to the Office Account option and select the Update Options.
- Herein, click the Update Now option.
- The Outlook application will automatically detect the updated version.
- You need to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update action.
- Now, try to open your MS Outlook application and see if it works fine.
3. Repair MS Outlook Profile
An issue with your MS Outlook profile can also result in the Outlook 2019 keeps crashing issue. You can try to repair the profile to resolve the issue by using the following steps:
- Open your MS Outlook 2019 and go to File menu.
- Now, click on Account Settings > Account Settings.
- Select your Outlook configured account and click Repair.
- You will see a new pop-up on the screen. Follow the on-screen instructions for completing the repair process.
4. Remove Conflicting or Faulty Add-Ins
There are various add-ins that help in using various MS Outlook functions. Sometimes, a conflicting or faulty add-in may create problems. You can remove such add-in by using the following steps:
- Open MS Outlook and go to File menu.
- Now, click Options > Add-ins.
- Scroll down and go to the Manage option. Herein, select the COM Add-ins option and click Go.
- You can try to uncheck the add-ins one-by-one to know which add-in was creating the problem. Further, click OK.
5. Reinstall MS Office
You can try to reinstall MS Office if the above methods don’t work. Here’s how you can do so:
- Launch Control Panel and go to Program and Features.
- Now, find your MS Office program in the list of applications and choose the Uninstall option.
- When the program uninstallation is complete, reinstall it and see if the MS Outlook application works properly.
6. Repair Corrupt Outlook Data File (PST)
A corrupt Outlook data file (PST) can also be the reason for the ‘Outlook 2019 keeps crashing’ problem. In such a case, you can repair the file by using the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) in Outlook. Follow these steps:
- Close MS Outlook application and go to the following location via File Explorer:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office1X
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office1X
- You can also search scanpst by typing in the File Explorer search box.
- When located, double-click on the scanpst.exe to open it.
- In the newly opened window, use the Browse option to add the PST file.
- If there are any errors, you will get a list displayed on the screen.
- Select the Repair option to repair the PST file.
The Inbox Repair tool has a few drawbacks, such as it may fail to repair a severely corrupted PST file. Also, it cannot repair the PST file of more than 2 GB size. In such a case, you can use a professional PST repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for Outlook. Using this software, you can repair the PST file with any level of corruption. The software also repairs the encrypted PST file of any size. After repair, you can have a preview of the mailbox data and save the data in different file saving formats, such as PST, RTF, EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, and Office 365 (Technician edition).
There can be many causes behind the ‘Outlook 2019 keeps crashing’ issue. You can follow the solutions mentioned above to fix the issue. If your PST file is corrupted, you can try to repair it by using the Outlook Inbox Repair tool, i.e., Scanpst.exe. However, if this doesn’t help resolve the issue, you can use a third-party PST repair tool, like Stellar Repair for Outlook.